Where To Start?

This diagram illustrates a simplified view of the development process.

The process to build INfill in Edmonton

There are several types of infill in Edmonton including single detached housing, semi-detached housing, duplexes, row housing, stacked row housing, apartments, secondary suites, and garden suites. 

These types of infill are referred to as ‘use classes’ in the 12800 Edmonton Zoning Bylaw and are categorized by the City of Edmonton as minor and major developments when issuing the applicable development permit.

A general rule of thumb is any development of 2 or fewer units is a minor development, and 3 or more is considered a major development.

The difference between these two types of developments is that major developments are more complex due to a greater degree of applicable regulations making the application process more rigorous and information intensive.

To develop any of these use classes, a complete development and building permit application must be submitted to the City of Edmonton for review and a decision (approval or refusal). When an application is submitted, a City of Edmonton development officer reviews the application against the 12800 Edmonton Zoning Bylaw, and determines whether the proposed development complies with a ‘use’ definition, site location criteria and development regulations outlined in the applicable zone, overlay and sections of the zoning bylaw. In some cases, the development officer also reviews an application against the Area Redevelopment Plan if one exists for the area. The predominant propose for this review is to ensure the use, scale and massing of the proposed development are compatible with the existing neighbourhood, complies with existing regulations, and does not unduly interfere with the use, value, and engagement of surrounding properties.

In some cases, the proposed development does not comply with the applicable zoning regulations. In these circumstances, the development application is either refused or approved with one or more variances by the development officer. The approval of any variance in an infill situation is often a complex process that is case-by-case and is informed by several considerations including the site configuration, the impact of the variance, and input from a community consultation. Regulations that outline this process in more detail can be found in the Mature Neighbourhood Overlay (Section 814) or Administrative Clauses (Section 11 to 25) of the Edmonton Zoning Bylaw.

Once any development permit is approved, any person may appeal the development decision to the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board where the decision of the Development Officer can be upheld or overturned. This also applies to any permit that is refused, the applicant may also appeal the development decision to the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board. However, in both circumstances, it is important to note that the appeal must be made within 14 days of the development decision to be heard by the Subdivision and Development Appeal Board.  

Once the development officer or Subdivision and Development Appeal Board approve a development, the application is reviewed by a safety codes officer, which reviews the proposal against the Alberta Building Code or also known as the ‘ABC’ for short. This review is to ensure the proposed development meets minimum safety and environmental regulations. 

Once all applicable permits are received, the property developer can complete all necessary construction work and inspections. 



City of Edmonton Building Resources and Guides

Permits & Regulations

More information on permits and regulations including a list of common permits required when undertaking an infill project can be found on the City of Edmonton infill website.


Infill Guidelines & Zoning Regulations

Infill guidelines and zoning regulations are posted on the City of Edmonton infill website. These guidelines outline each type of infill you can build in the city, as well as the rules pertaining to their design.


Mature Neighbourhood Overlay 

The Mature Neighbourhood Overlay (MNO) was passed in 2001 with 24 regulations that aim to ensure new development in Edmonton’s mature areas are sensitive to existing development. More information can be found on the City of Edmonton infill website.


good Construction Practices

More information on behaviour, safety and damage can be found on the City of Edmonton infill website. 




The infill drainage guide can be found on the City of Edmonton infill website. 


Trees & Landscaping 

Find more information on landscaping requirements, and the protection of city-owned trees on the City of Edmonton infill website. 


Development Signage

Find more information on development signage on the City of Edmonton infill website. 


Infill Conversation Toolkit

Find the Infill Conservation Toolkit on the City of Edmonton website.


Good Neighbour Guide

Find the Good Neighbour Guide on the City of Edmonton website.